A solution to the dysfunctional annual planning process – 1 Day masterclass
The quarterly rolling planning is a process that will revolutionise any organisation whether public or private sector! It removes the four main barriers to success that an annual planning process erects. An annual funding regime where budget holders are encouraged to be dysfunctional, a reporting regime base around monthly targets that have no relevance, a three-month period where management are diverted from day to day operations, and the remuneration system based on an annual target. The only thing certain about an annual target is that it is certainly wrong, it is either too soft or too hard for the trading conditions.
The critical building block is quarterly rolling planning (QRP). This course will explain why the quarterly rolling planning (QRP) is the most important management tool of this decade and how QRP is a more involved form of rolling forecasting. It will also show how QRP will revolutionise your company cutting the shackles of the dysfunctional annual planning process. The masterclass will include an in-depth how to implement guide, case studies and an outline of the forecasting and planning tools currently available.
This new process requires a number of key steps and this workshop will go through them to ensure attendees have an in-depth understanding. Once the course is completed participants will have the opportunity to work with electronic templates to help kick-start the process.
This course is delivered by one of the leading experts on QRP, a very new area which has evolved with the advent of beyond budgeting. It takes the concept of quarterly rolling forecasting and planning and provides a clear route forward.
This masterclass will cover:
- The foundation stones and rules for a QRP
- How the annual plan can be a by-product from this method
- Selection the right planning tool
- How to use planning tool consultants effectively
- How to develop and use QRP
- An outline of currently available first, second and third tier planning tools
- Report formats for your QRP process
- The one-page annual plan summary for business units
- Workshop on using drivers in forecasting
How to sell the change
How to sell the change to the Board and senior management team will be covered.
David Parmenter FCA (Eng & Wales) CA is a leading expert in KPIs, rolling planning, and fast month-end processes. He has presented in over 30 countries and published many books, including “Winning CFOs”. David has worked for organisations such as EY,BP Oil and PwC.
What you will gain
- An impetus to radically rethink your planning process and to provide templates to help ensure your planning/forecasting system is more flexible, linked to strategy, improves management of finances and saves time!
- Understand the building blocks to better practice planning/forecasting
- Receive practical skills transfer so you can start your quarterly rolling forecasting
Who should attend
This course is designed for Finance Directors, CFOs, financial controllers, financial accountants and management accountants who are involved in annual planning process. In addition, practitioners who act as a CFO for their SME clients.
CPD Hours: 7 PD hours