Web Based Toolkit and a selection of E-templates for Book Owners
This book comes with a ninety page web-based toolkit (PDF), and is a simple and easy to read guide on how you go about finding measures that will help your organization on the journey from good to great. For people working on a KPI project, you can purchase the electronic version of the book templates plus useful PowerPoint presentations from the link below. For more information about the book, click on the book cover link.
David’s intellectual property is constantly evolving and to access his up to the minute KPI work it is best to purchase his extensive whitepaper. On notification of a purchase, David reviews the whitepaper, updating it, and then publishes. Ensuring that the reader receives his most up to date thinking. For more information, you can browse the whitepaper here.
A guide to implementing KPIs in your organisation from the King of the KPIs
David Parmenter’s first edition of Key Performance Indicators was the first book to bring to light three discoveries to unlock performance measures from their shackles.
- An organization operating without its critical success factors, known by all, is aimless
- Most measures are not in fact KPIs they are result indicators – measures that show how teams have worked together, often measured monthly leading to a busy reporting machine that fails the organization
- All KPIs are non-financial, measured 24/7, daily or at the very least, weekly.
This fourth edition has been further refined to help project management professionals, senior leadership, and external KPI facilitators implement a successful KPI project. The book includes:
- The seven characteristics of KPIs and why you only need up to 10 KPIs
- The difference between result and performance indicators
- Getting the right mix of past, current and future measures
- A kit to help you find your organization’s critical success factors, the source of all meaningful measures
- The myths driving current measurement thinking that need to be avoided
- How to minimize the dark side of performance measures
- How rules to follow when designing performance measures from the CSFs
- How the in-house KPI team should sell and lead a KPI project
- A PDF toolkit full of worksheets, checklists, and questionnaires for the KPI team
- Over 200 carefully designed performance measures (these can be purchased electronically in a database)
Rife with examples, worksheets, practice exercises, templates, and other valuable tools, Key Performance Indicators is truly a field guide. Readers will walk away with an understanding of the what, why, and—most importantly—the how of building appropriate and effective KPIs into organizations of all sizes.
Key performance indicators are crucial to defining and tracking your organization’s progress toward its goals. Setting up the wrong performance measures can lead to unwanted behaviors across an organization, perhaps even destroying value through misalignment and confusion.
If you are building KPIs for your organization, Key Performance Indicators will help you avoid these common mistakes and ensure you’re your efforts result in ownership, empowerment, and fulfillment at all levels.
This fourth edition has been improved by:
- Simplifying, reorganizing and refining the Winning KPI process into a three-stage process
- Refining the “selling the change” process by incorporating more reference to the psychology behind resistance to change.
- A new chapter on the rules for designing measures
- New methods he has used in more recent KPI implementations
- A further refined performance measures database
David Parmenter is truly a king of KPIs. I have read both the 3rd and the 4th editions of this book. Firstly, this book clearly defines what a KPI is and the myths around KPIs. Different types of measures and how to report them are clearly explained. Also, the author introduces to a concept called Critical Success Factor (CSF) – what it is and why is it so important to organizations and why all KPIs should be derived from CSFs. Comparing to 4th edition (I call the 4th edition as KPI yellow bible), exercises are there on wording measures, a new chapter is introduced on measures characteristics and I feel overall it is more organized. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in setting up KPIs in their organization. Theju Mudda IT Manager @Qualcomm India
I strongly recommend this book if you want to learn deeply about KPIs, PIs, KRIs and RIs. It also stresses the importance of having CSF (Critical Success Factors). Part I, with 5 chapters, it’s already worth the price of the book. In Part II the author outlines his methodology to implement KPIs in an organization. Excellent and recommended! Jose Papo
KPI (Key Performance Indicator) is overused. Parmenter does a great job in distinguishing between KPI’s and KRI’s(Key Results Indicators) as well as KPI’s vs. plain ‘ol “PI’s” or Performance Indicators. This is the most useful book I found on KPIs. Adam Edwards
- The book cover
- Look inside- at the contents pages
- Look inside – at the book index
- Buy this Book @ amazon.com
- Buy KPI whitepaper: Introduction to implementing winning KPIs + E-Templates
- Buy electronic templates from the Book(for organisations over 250 employees)
- Buy Implementing winning KPIs in a small enterprise (Modified for entities with less than 100 employees)
- Implementing winning KPIs in a medium enterprise (Modified for entities between 100-250 employees)
- Testimonials on Key Performance Indicators: Developing, Implementing, and Using Winning KPIs 3rd edition
- Free media for KPI Book owners
This book will answer the following questions:
- How do you measure KPIs?
- What is a KPI?
- Types of performance measures?
- What makes a good KPI?
- Why only a few measures are KPIs?
- How to design a KPI?
- What are the steps to take to design a KPI?
- Why many KPIs do not work?
- How do you implement KPIs in my organisation?
- How do you establish KPIs?
All templates in the book + additional PowerPoint presentations
In the book and the accompanying PDF toolkit, I have many templates, checklists, workshop templates, a PowerPoint KPI sales pitch, one page KPI report formats to help the KPI team implement change rapidly. Readers will find it cost beneficial to purchase the electronic versions, thus avoiding a time consuming formatting exercise. As I only make USD$1.50 per book, I need to sell the electronic versions as they represent over USD$30,000 of my time over the years I have developed them.
The electronic templates include:
- Indicative KPI roll-out time frame template
- Agenda and content of a two day critical success factor workshop
- The workshop exercises
- Sphere of influence mapping template
- KPI reporting formats
- Questionnaire on employees’ view on KPIs
- Employee concerns and learning issues worksheet
- Agenda for staff roadshow to promote KPI project
- Marketing the KPI system to all employees checklist
- Half-day workshop timetable for the senior management team to sell the KPI project
- One day KPI focus group on CSFs and associated performance measures
- One day focus group agenda and timetable
- Senior management team commitment checklist
- Senior management team questionnaire
- Selecting a facilitator checklist
- KPI development strategy checklist
- KPI development strategy worksheet
- The KPI project facilitator’s role checklist
- Establishing a KPI project team checklist
- Establishing a KPI project team questionnaire
- KPI 360-degree questionnaire
- “Just do it” KPI project checklist
- “Just do it” KPI project worksheet
- Job description for the KPI team leader
- Workshop preparation checklist
- Draft of the CEO invitation to attend the two day critical success factors workshop
- Preparing a list of draft operational success factors checklist
- List of common operational success factors
- List of common outcome statements
- Agenda and timetable for a two day critical success factor workshop
- Instructions for the break out exercises in the critical success factors workshop
- A list of empty words sourced from Stacey Barr’s work
- Wording of measures exercise template
- Characterizing measures template
- Proposed agenda for the staff KPI workshop
- Exercises in the staff KPI workshop
- Understanding of the organisation’s critical success factors worksheet
- Checklist to ensure you have a successful staff workshop
- Key tasks for recording performance measures
- Checking KPIs against the seven characteristics
The PowerPoint templates
- A strategy PowerPoint slide deck
- Selling the KPI project to the CEO
- Selling the KPI project to the staff in your organisation
David Parmenter’s whitepapers + e-templates
David’s intellectual property is constantly evolving and to access his up to the minute work it is best to purchase his extensive whitepapers. On notification of a purchase, David reviews the whitepapers, updating them, and then publishes. Ensuring that the reader receives his most up to date thinking. For more information, you can browse the whitepapers below.
- Moving to a lean finance function – A Journey Worth Making (100 page paper + electronic media)
- How to Implement Quarterly Rolling Forecasting and Quarterly Rolling Planning – and get it right first time (100 page paper + electronic media)
- How to Implement a Forecasting and Planning Tool – and get it right first time (100 page paper + electronic media)
- An Annual Plan in Two Weeks or Less (80 page paper + electronic media)
- Rapid month end reporting by day three or less and error free (90 page paper + electronic media)
- Quick Annual Reporting: Auditors sign off within 15 working days post year-end (80 page paper + electronic media)
- Reporting Informatively & Error Free – Decision Based Reporting Templates (90 page paper + electronic media)
- The twenty major mistakes corporate accountants make every year (100 page paper + electronic media)
- 20+ System Improvements for the Finance Team (80 page paper + electronic media)
- 900 words, An SME toolkit to help your organisation survive adolescence
- Winning leadership toolkit (100 page paper + electronic media)