A guide to implementing KPIs in your organisation from the King of the KPIs
Most organizations use the wrong measures, most of which are incorrectly termed key performance indicators (KPIs). Measures are destroying value and encouraging inappropriate activities, inhibiting projects, strangling outsourcing arrangements, and limiting the effectiveness of balanced scorecards.
Measures should be segregated between those that report on collective efforts (result indicators) and those measures that can be tied to a team that will enhance performance (performance indicators).
In Key Performance Indicators, performance measurement expert David Parmenter has developed a clear set of steps that enable leaders to avoid these pitfalls and create KPIs that meaningfully reflect short- and long-term organizational performance.
This book comes with a ninety page web-based toolkit (PDF), and is a simple and easy to read guide on how you go about finding measures that will help your organization on the journey from good to great. For people working on a KPI project, you can purchase the electronic version of the book templates plus useful PowerPoint presentations from the link below. For more information about the book, click on the book cover link.
David’s intellectual property is constantly evolving and to access his up to the minute KPI work it is best to purchase his extensive whitepaper. On notification of a purchase, David reviews the whitepaper, updating it, and then publishes. Ensuring that the reader receives his most up to date thinking. For more information, you can browse the whitepaper here.
- Book Cover
- Look inside the book (Overview page of each chapter)
- Buy this Book @ amazon.com
- Buy KPI whitepaper: Introduction to implementing winning KPIs + E-Templates
- Buy electronic templates from the Book (for organisations over 250 employees)
- Buy Implementing winning KPIs in a small enterprise (Modified for entities with less than 100 employees)
- Implementing winning KPIs in a medium enterprise (Modified for entities between 100-250 employees)
- Testimonials on Key Performance Indicators: Developing, Implementing, and Using Winning KPIs 3rd edition
This book will answer the following questions:
- How do you measure KPIs?
- What is a KPI?
- Types of performance measures?
- What makes a good KPI?
- Why only a few measures are KPIs?
- How to design a KPI?
- What are the steps to take to design a KPI?
- Why many KPIs do not work?
- How do you implement KPIs in my organisation?
- How do you establish KPIs?
PDF Toolkit and a selection of E-templates
This book comes with a ninety page web-based toolkit (PDF). I have also provided some free e-templates. Click here for 90 Page PDF available to KPI Book Owners
All templates in the book + additional PowerPoint presentations
In the book and the accompanying PDF toolkit, I have many templates, checklists, workshop templates, a PowerPoint KPI sales pitch, one page KPI report formats to help the KPI team implement change rapidly. Readers will find it cost beneficial to purchase the electronic versions, thus avoiding a time consuming formatting exercise. As I only make USD$1.50 per book, I need to sell the electronic versions as they represent over USD$30,000 of my time over the years I have developed them.
The electronic templates include:
- Indicative KPI roll-out time frame template
- Agenda and content of a two day critical success factor workshop
- The workshop exercises
- Sphere of influence mapping template
- KPI reporting formats
- Questionnaire on employees’ view on KPIs
- Employee concerns and learning issues worksheet
- Agenda for staff roadshow to promote KPI project
- Marketing the KPI system to all employees checklist
- Half-day workshop timetable for the senior management team to sell the KPI project
- One day KPI focus group on CSFs and associated performance measures
- One day focus group agenda and timetable
- Senior management team commitment checklist
- Senior management team questionnaire
- Selecting a facilitator checklist
- KPI development strategy checklist
- KPI development strategy worksheet
- The KPI project facilitator’s role checklist
- Establishing a KPI project team checklist
- Establishing a KPI project team questionnaire
- KPI 360-degree questionnaire
- “Just do it” KPI project checklist
- “Just do it” KPI project worksheet
- Job description for the KPI team leader
- Workshop preparation checklist
- Draft of the CEO invitation to attend the two day critical success factors workshop
- Preparing a list of draft operational success factors checklist
- List of common operational success factors
- List of common outcome statements
- Agenda and timetable for a two day critical success factor workshop
- Instructions for the break out exercises in the critical success factors workshop
- A list of empty words sourced from Stacey Barr’s work
- Wording of measures exercise template
- Characterizing measures template
- Proposed agenda for the staff KPI workshop
- Exercises in the staff KPI workshop
- Understanding of the organisation’s critical success factors worksheet
- Checklist to ensure you have a successful staff workshop
- Key tasks for recording performance measures
- Checking KPIs against the 7 characteristics
The PowerPoint templates
- A strategy PowerPoint slide deck
- Selling the KPI project to the CEO
- Selling the KPI project to the staff in your organisation
David Parmenter’s whitepapers + e-templates
David’s intellectual property is constantly evolving and to access his up to the minute work it is best to purchase his extensive whitepapers. On notification of a purchase, David reviews the whitepapers, updating them, and then publishes. Ensuring that the reader receives his most up to date thinking. For more information, you can browse the whitepapers below.
- Moving to a lean finance function – A Journey Worth Making
- How to Implement Quarterly Rolling Forecasting and Quarterly Rolling Planning – and get it right first time
- How to Implement a Forecasting and Planning Tool – and get it right first time
- An Annual Plan in Two Weeks or Less
- Rapid month end reporting by day three or less and error free
- Quick Annual Reporting: Auditors sign off within 15 working days post year-end
- Reporting Informatively & Error Free – Decision Based Reporting Templates
- The twenty major mistakes corporate accountants make every year
- 20+ System Improvements for the Finance Team